Zero 2 Sixty

"Charity is the opium of the privileged." -Chinua Achebe

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Game Plan

10/28/12

I found a simple "how to" framework for raising money through running from http://www.ehow.com/how_6917995_raise-money-running.html
I've edited in some on my own ideas and plans, and so here's what I'm thinking for now... 

Instructions - How to Raise Money By Running

 
1
Find an organization to support and an event to join. The organization here is my charitable trust and its various start-up costs; the event here are the running campaigns that I'll create on IndieGoGo.com.  Brainstorm injustices or issues in the world that really get you fired up, and get behind a movement you are passionate about. At first, my funds will be raised to establish the trust.  I've received slightly conflicting advice from different sources, but it sounds like registration fees can be up to $1000, and most have said that I should hire professionals to facilitate not only the organization itself, but the 501c3 tax status process as well.

2
Set up an online fundraising page. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I will mostly be using IndieGoGo.com for online donations, which I'll share through Blogspot, Facebook, and Twitter.  This is a tech-savvy and convenient way for your friends and family to donate. No stamps, no envelops, no checks--just a debit or credit card donation on your fundraising site. Many organizations have pages you can personalize to accrue donations. Set one up before you begin raising money.
 
3
Send out mass emails to friends and family about your efforts. Include lots of information about your chosen charity, as well as your plan to run for a cause. If running a marathon, include information about the training process. Include links to your fundraising page, as well as links to more information. Tell them exactly what you plan to do, when you will do it and your goals. Spell it out clearly for them so there is no confusion.  In addition to information about what I'm specifically raising money for, and the running events that I'll design for my fund raising campaigns, I look forward to post updates about training for anyone that's interested in the running-side of this whole process.

4
Encourage supporters to send money directly to the organization with a note that says it's through your fundraising effort, and make sure online donations go straight to the organization. Sending  funds straight to the charity makes people feel more comfortable about the process.  I am going to set up a new bank account to collect the initial funds, and once the organization is formed, the accounts and funds will all go in its name.  One cool idea that I think might increase community participation is allowing donors a vote in the official name of the organization, once I collect a finalist list of possible names.

5
Send out an update email or letter after you run the race, letting them know that you reached your goal, finished the race and couldn't have done it without their support. Show your supporters courtesy by following up and let them know that the organization will continue to need their support if they want to keep giving. 

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments about the fund raising process, and please connect with me on facebook www.facebook.com/bwanderson2 and twitter @BrianWA33

Brian Anderson

 


No comments:

Post a Comment