Zero 2 Sixty

"Charity is the opium of the privileged." -Chinua Achebe

Sunday, October 28, 2012

How to Raise Funds....At Least At First

10/28/12

I recently had the pleasure of meeting Steve Marks, who is the founder of the Akron Marathon and who has formed his own foundation.  It was inspiring to hear how Mr. Marks was able to unite the community with the marathon, while he raised money for important causes.  I ran the marathon this past September (my first ever!), and am happy that some of my registration fee is going back to the community.

During my 12 mile run yesterday, I thought that a fun way to raise money for at least the start up costs that I'll face forming this charitable organization, and then for obtaining 501c3 tax status as a philanthropic entity, would be to hold pledge-a-thons through running. 

I recently saw a fund raising campaign on IndieGoGo, which you can view here http://igg.me/p/244859, for which a young man will participate in endurance activities to raise money for an activity for foster kids.  I thought that if I could plan endurance challenges for myself, I might be able to increase community involvement and successfully raise funds for this charitable trust.  I truly love to run, and I hope to schedule fund raising campaigns that will have 100% of all funds put towards forming the organization. 

Let's say, for example, that if I can raise $1,000 I'll run from Akron to Cleveland.  Would you donate $10?  If I ran from Akron to Pittsburgh, would you donate $25?  Please leave any questions or comments that you may have.

Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment